A continuing need for agricultural assistance in neighboring states struck by wildfires prompted the Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT), at the request of Gov. Eric Greitens and in consultation with the Missouri Department of Agriculture, to extend the availability of special oversize load permits.

 In addition, MoDOT is temporarily suspending the need for trip and fuel tax permits for those hauling hay, fencing and other materials in order to streamline relief efforts.

Oversize permits are required of loads exceeding 8 feet 6 inches in width. A special oversize permit, available now through May 8, for overwide loads of hay will:

• Be issued free of charge.

• Be issued up to 12 feet wide.

• Allow travel during curfew hours and at night.

Load length, height and weight must remain within legal limits.

These continuous movement oversize permits are only available to those hauling hay in direct response to disaster relief efforts.

Drivers must abide by all other permit regulations including the use of reflective oversize load signs and clearance lights instead of flags at the edges of loads when hauling at night or when visibility is less than 500 feet.

For assistance obtaining an oversize permit, carriers may contact MoDOT Motor Carrier Services at 1-800-877-8499 between 7:30 a.m. and 5 p.m.

MoDOT also waives the temporary fuel and trip registration permits for these moves.

Drivers do not need to carry a copy of the waiver, however links to the waivers can be found online at

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.